Capitol Words a project of the Sunlight Foundation

  • and

contraception

Occurrences over time

embed
  • Embed Dark
  • Embed Light
  1. '96
  2. '98
  3. '00
  4. '02
  5. '04
  6. '06
  7. '08
  8. '10
  9. '12
  10. '15

Mentioned most often by

Occurrences in the Congressional Record

Entry Title Date
Prohibiting Federal Funding Of Planned Parenthood Federation Of America—Motion To Proceed August 3, 2015
Angus King, I-ME
"The first is that this bill has nothing to do with abortion. Ninety-seven percent of the activities of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America and its associated facilities have nothing to do with abortion. They have to do with women’s health, they have to do with cancer screening, and they have to do with contraception and early detection. The 3 percent that do involve abortion have no involvement whatsoever with Federal funds. This is not a case where Federal funds are going to support abortion or any of the related activities."
Planned Parenthood August 3, 2015
Harry Reid, D-NV
"A few hours from now, the Senate will vote on a Republican bill to defund Planned Parenthood. Let’s understand what that vote means. Defunding Planned Parenthood would limit American women’s access to critical health services, such as contraception, breast and cancer screenings, and well-women visits. This legislation is just another Republican attack on the health care of millions of women, like Sara from Kentucky."
Hire More Heroes Act Of 2015 July 30, 2015
Kirsten Gillibrand, D-NY
"Here is another fact. Only 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s work is dedicated to abortion services. The other 97 percent of their work is dedicated to preventive women’s health services, such as STD testing and screenings, contraception, Pap tests, breast exams, cancer screenings, and other services, such as adoption referrals, pediatric care, and immunizations. So when someone says let’s defund Planned Parenthood because they never liked that it ever existed, what they are saying to women, particularly low-income women, women in low-income communities, and many women of color is that they won’t have access to a wide range of essential services because of an ideological desire to control what choices are being made by women and their doctors."
Prohibiting Federal Funding Of Planned Parenthood Federation Of America—Motion To Proceed—Continued July 30, 2015
Debbie Stabenow, D-MI
"So when we talk about Planned Parenthood, we are talking about the full spectrum of women’s health care, including contraception and family planning services that serve both women and men. One out of five women has been to a Planned Parenthood clinic at some point in her life. In 2013, 2.7 million women, men, young people, relied on Planned Parenthood for preventive care, and about 70,000 of those were in my State of Michigan."
Affordable Care Act June 18, 2015
Tammy Baldwin, D-WI
"Because of the Affordable Care Act, insurance companies can no longer deny coverage to the more than 2 million Wisconsinites who have some type of preexisting health condition. Insurance companies can no longer charge copays or deductibles for critical preventative services such as contraception or cancer screenings for over 1 million Wisconsin women. Thanks to the new law, 89,000 Wisconsin seniors on Medicare will see their prescription drug doughnut hole closed by 2022. In the meantime, these same seniors on average have saved $913 each on prescription drugs."

Popularity by state

Popularity by party