Capitol Words a project of the Sunlight Foundation

  • and

the national school

Occurrences over time

embed
  • Embed Dark
  • Embed Light
  1. '96
  2. '98
  3. '00
  4. '02
  5. '04
  6. '06
  7. '08
  8. '10
  9. '12
  10. '14
  11. '16

Mentioned most often by

Occurrences in the Congressional Record

Entry Title Date
Student Success Act—Conference Report December 9, 2015
Lamar Alexander, R-TN
"Today we are voting on one of two things: the status quo or the change. You are either voting yes to repeal the common core mandate or no to keep it. You are either voting yes to get rid of the waivers through which the U.S. Department of Education has been operating as a national school board for 80,000 schools in 42 States or a vote no is saying: I like the national school board. Your voting yes means the largest step toward local control of schools in 25 years or no means you are voting against the largest step toward local control in 25 years. A vote yes means you like the fact that this bill should produce less testing; no means you like the testing the way it is. Those are the choices. We are past the time when each of us has a chance to offer an amendment. We all offered our amendments. I have offered mine. Some of mine got 45 votes, and I needed 60 votes, so they are not in the bill, but the choice today is a choice to unleash a flood of excellence in student achievement across this country the way it should be—State by State, community by community, classroom by classroom."
Student Success Act—Conference Report December 8, 2015
Lamar Alexander, R-TN
"So I have decided, as a President named Reagan once advised, that I will take 80 percent of what I want and fight for the other 20 percent on another day. Besides, if I were to vote no, I would be voting to leave in place the common core mandate—and I would be voting to leave in place the waivers that permit the U.S. Department of Education to act as a national school board for 80,000 students and 42 states—and I would be voting against the largest step toward locally-controlled schools in 25 years. Let me repeat that. Voting no today is voting to leave in place the common core mandate and the national school board and voting against the largest step toward local control of schools in 25 years."
Energy And Water Development And Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016—Motion To Proceed October 7, 2015
Lamar Alexander, R-TN
"We reversed the trend of the national school board, and we did it with 81 votes in the Senate. It was a bipartisan bill."
Honoring Joanne Ellis September 24, 2015
John Garamendi, D-CA
"Whereas, Joanne took the initiative to implement a successful pilot program called `Food for Thought’ at Park Avenue School in Yuba City. The program aims to minimize child hunger over the weekends when children and families do not have access to the National School Lunch program. It offers students the opportunity to take fresh local fruits and vegetables and whole grain breads home to prepare and eat over the weekend. With Park Avenue Elementary School containing the highest poverty levels in the district, the program has been very well-received."
Recognizing Anupam Kher September 24, 2015
Cory Booker, D-NJ
"Born in 1955 in Himachal Pradesh, India, Anupam had a modest upbringing. After graduating from the D.A.V. School, in Shimla, Anupam attended the National School of Drama, to which he would later return as director. He was chair of Central Board of Film Certification from 2003-2004, after which the Government of India awarded him the prestigious Padma Shri for his contributions to Indian cinema. Anupam has appeared in over 100 plays and over 450 films, and he is considered one of the greatest actors of contemporary cinema."

Popularity by state

Popularity by party